Internet cookies (or just cookies) are small bits of data sent by websites and stored on your computer by the web browser you are using.
They allow websites to remember stateful information such as what items you bought from an online store or the kind of tickets you bought from an airline website. Cookies are also used to record your activity on the websites you browse, including what pages you visited in previous sessions as well as any buttons you may have clicked.
Why you should delete cookies
Cookies only run in the background, so they don’t really pose any serious issues. However, since cookies are designed to record your browsing activity, they might be a problem if you don’t want websites using and storing your information. Internet privacy is important, after all.
Furthermore, internet cookies are stored as files on your hard drive. Over time, these cookies can end up consuming a significant amount of space if not cleared on a regular basis. Here are some more tips on how to clear space on a Mac.
How to clear the cookies on your MacBook
Browsers are the programs responsible for storing cookies, so clearing them depends directly what browser you use. There’s no need to worry, though. No matter which browser you fancy, deleting cookies is not a tedious undertaking by any means.
In this guide, you will learn how to clear the cookies on three browsers: Safari, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. So, read on.
Clearing cookies on your MacBook’s Safari browser is easy as pie and takes only less than a minute of your time. Just take note of these instructions.
- Open your Safari browser.
- Click on History. It’s located on the menu bar at the top of your screen.
- Select Clear History.
- On the drop-down labeled Clear, choose the time period of cookies you want to delete. If you want to clear all your MacBook’s cookies, select all history.
- Click on Clear History.
Prefer browsing on Google Chrome? No problem—clearing cookies on this browser is very simple. Here’s what you need to do.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Click on your browser’s menu. It’s the icon with three parallel horizontal lines on the right-hand corner of the browser beside the address bar.
- Select History.
- Select Clear Browsing Data.
- You’ll be presented with a list of items you want to delete. You can click on any item you like, but in this case, you can just click on Cookies and other site and plugin data as well as Cached images and files.
- Similar to Safari, you need to choose the time period of cookies you want to delete. To clear all cookies, select the beginning of time.
- Click on Clear browsing data.
Clearing cookies on Firefox should just take a matter of seconds, as long as you follow these steps.
- Open your Firefox browser.
- Click on the menu. It’s on the upper right-hand corner of the browser window.
- Select History.
- Select Clear Recent History.
- On the drop down labeled Time range to clear, choose Everything to clear all your cookies.
- Click on the button beside Details to open up the list below.
- Tick the boxes labeled Cookies and Cache.
- Click on Clear Now.
Prevent cookies from taking up too much space on your hard drive by making it a point to clear them out on a regular basis. There is no standard practice as to when you should delete your cookies, so feel free to set your own schedule. You can try clearing your cookies once every week or at least once every two weeks.
To avoid the inconvenience of clearing cookies multiple times, just use one browser. Pick the one that works best for you and stick with it, so that you don’t have to spend a lot of time clearing cookies on different browsers.
When clearing cookies on your MacBook, you also need to clear your cache along with all other forms of stored website data. Doing so will remove your information from the websites that you visited. It’s only going to take a few more clicks anyway, so why not do it?
Hi, we are team Baseqi, thank you for reading our blog! We are a technology startup founded by a team of passionate designers and Apple fanatics. Our goal is to design unique and high-quality accessories at cutting edge prices for all Apple lovers.
Please take a moment to look at our latest invention. Do you need more storage space on your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro? Insert a Baseqi's Ninja Stealth Drive and add up to 400GB+ to your MacBook instantly.
Over 100,00 pieces of Ninja Stealth Drive has been sold worldwide. It is a unique invention and loved by tens and thousands of MacBook users. It is a great and simple way to upgrade your MacBook's storage space. Click on the link below to learn more!