Your MacBook contains vast amounts of information, so losing it can be a problem.
Not only is it expensive to buy another one, the data on your lost MacBook can be difficult to recover. This is why it’s crucial that you set up Find My Mac before your MacBook gets lost or stolen. Find My Mac enables you to quickly locate your MacBook if it ever goes missing.
How to set up Find My Mac
- Go to the Apple menu.
- Click on System Preferences then click on iCloud.
- Sign in by entering your Apple ID. If your MacBook is brand new and you don’t have an Apple ID yet, click on Create new Apple ID. Once you have an Apple ID, click on Find My Mac.
- You will be asked if you allow Find My Mac to use the location of your MacBook. Click Allow.
- The Details button appears if your MacBook’s location services is disabled. Turn on Location Services by going to Security & Privacy window, clicking on the padlock icon, and then typing your administrator name and password.
How to find your missing MacBook
If your MacBook gets lost or stolen, you can use Find My Mac to find it. Here are some ways to go about it.
- On a different computer or laptop (both Windows and Mac OS will work)
- Make sure the computer you are using meets the minimum system requirements of iCloud:
a) PC: Windows 7 and Google Chrome 35, Firefox 27, Internet Explorer 11, or Microsoft Edge
b) Mac OS: Safari 7, Firefox 27, and Google Chrome 35
- Connect to the internet and go to the website www.icloud.com/find.
- Sign in to your iCloud account (use your Apple ID username and password) to locate your MacBook.
- On an iOS device (iPhone, iPod, or iPad)
- Use the Find My iPhone app to locate your missing MacBook.
Functions of Find My Mac and Find My iPhone
The Find My Mac (for desktops and laptops) and Find My iPhone (for iOS devices) features let you perform certain actions once you locate your MacBook such as:
- Locate your Mac on a map.
You’ll be able to see the location of your MacBook if it’s connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Play a sound on your Mac.
Your MacBook will play a sound for you to find if it hasn’t been missing long and you think it’s just nearby.
- Lock your Mac.
You can remotely lock your MacBook with a passcode.
- Erase your Mac.
You can delete all the data from your MacBook in the event that you are unable to locate it.
More information about finding your MacBook
Have an easier time locating your MacBook with these helpful tips:
Finding an offline MacBook
In case your MacBook is turned off or not connected to the internet, you can request Find My Mac to notify you once the MacBook is online again.
When you remotely lock your MacBook using Find My Mac, it gets put on Lost Mode. With this mode, your MacBook undergoes the following changes.
- Unless unlocked, your MacBook and the information on it can’t be accessed by anyone else.
- Your MacBook screen displays a customized message. You can let people know how to get a hold of you to return your MacBook if they find it.
- Apple Pay and any debit or credit cards on it are disabled for your device.
In Lost Mode, Find My Mac also tracks your MacBook’s current location (including any changes) and marks it on the map. If Lost Mode was enabled when your MacBook was shut down or offline, the tracker takes effect immediately once your MacBook is online again.
Erasing the data on your MacBook — your last resort
When you’ve tried everything and you still can’t find your MacBook, there’s only one thing left to do: remotely erase all the data on your MacBook and lock it so that whoever has it can’t use it. Your MacBook essentially becomes a paperweight. You can erase the data on your MacBook even if it’s turned off. Once it’s back online, it will no longer be usable.
See, locating your MacBook and securing the data on it is easy. However, the best way to protect it is still to avoid losing it at all costs. If you want to learn more about MacBook security, here is an article on how to secure your MacBook.
Hi, we are team Baseqi, thank you for reading our blog! We are a technology startup founded by a team of passionate designers and Apple fanatics. Our goal is to design unique and high-quality accessories at cutting edge prices for all Apple lovers.
In effort to promote our brand Baseqi, we are currently giving away a free VIP discount pass to our first 100 blog subscribers. You will get a 20% OFF coupon for initial purchase and a 10% OFF coupon code that can be used for the next 2 years! Click to learn more about Baseqi here.
We invent new Apple accessories and gadgets every year. We invite you to interact with us during our design process. Be the first ones to own these cool inventions by becoming our valued VIP member. Subcribe to our blog now and receive VIP discounts for the next 2 years!