When your Apple ID is locked or disabled, it’s usually for one of these reasons:
- You typed the wrong password too many times in a row.
- You have not logged in to your account in a long time.
If you type an erroneous password, answer security questions incorrectly, or enter inaccurate account information, Apple locks out your account to protect your security. You are then notified with an alert that says “Your Apple ID has been disabled for security reasons.”, in which case you’ll have to reset your password.
How to recover your account
Yes, it’s frustrating to get locked out of your Apple ID. Fortunately, though, it’s a problem that’s very easy to fix. In order to use your account again, you just need to follow these instructions:
- Go to iforgot.apple.com
- Enter your Apple ID (the email address you used to set up the account).
- Type in the verification code to prove that you are not a robot.
- Click on continue.
The next page that appears will differ depending on what type of authentication you chose to set up your Apple ID with. The ways you can reset your password include:
- You can provide the correct answers to security questions.
- You can have Apple send you a password reset email.
- You can use two-step verification.
- You can use two-factor authentication (2FA) and reset your password from either another device or a trusted phone number.
Option 1: Answer security questions
This is the most straightforward method, and it should only take a couple of minutes.
- Enter your date of birth.
- Apple will ask you two security questions. Answer both correctly and you’ll be taken to the Reset Password page.
- Type in your new password then retype it to confirm that it’s correct. Keep in mind that your password must be at least eight characters, contain both uppercase and lowercase letters, and include at least one numeral. You also can’t use previous passwords.
Option 2: Password reset email
Forgot the answers to your security questions or simply don’t want to answer them? You can have a password reset email sent to you.
- From the Reset Password page, select Get an email and click on Continue.
- An email will be sent to the second email address associated with your account.
- Click on the Reset now link on the body of the email
- Type in your new password as normal.
It’s important to note that you must have access to the second email address if you choose this option to reset your Apple ID password.
Option 3: Two-step verification
If you used two-step verification to set up your account, you would have received a 14-character Recovery Key that Apple advised you to print and keep in a safe place for later use.
Together with a code that will be sent to a trusted device, you can use your Recovery Key to reset the password to your Apple ID.
Option 4: Two-factor authentication
2FA is an additional level of security for your account to ensure that you—and only you—can access your Apple ID, even if someone is able to learn your password.
- You will be asked to provide the mobile number you used to set up two-factor authentication.
- Upon entering, you will be asked if you want to reset your password from another trusted device or from a trusted phone number.
- If you opted to reset your password from another device, a Reset Password alert will be sent to that device.
- If you choose to reset your password using a trusted phone number, you will receive an alert stating that Account Recovery is required to reset your password. Select Start Account Recovery.
- You will be sent a text message containing a verification code once your account can be recovered. Enter that code on Apple’s Reset Password page.
This option takes a few days to complete, so only use it if you can’t recover your account via the other three options.
Is your MacBook safe? Here is an article on how to secure your MacBook!
There you have it. These are all the ways you can regain access to your Apple ID. In case you still have difficulty doing so, your last resort is either call Apple Support or chat with them online for assistance in recovering your account. Bear in mind that it will not be an easy process, as you will have to undergo strict verification to prove that you are the owner of the account.
Hi, we are team Baseqi, thank you for reading our blog! We are a technology startup founded by a team of passionate designers and Apple fanatics. Our goal is to design unique and high-quality accessories at cutting edge prices for all Apple lovers.
In effort to promote our brand Baseqi, we are currently giving away a free VIP discount pass to our first 100 blog subscribers. You will get a 20% OFF coupon for initial purchase and a 10% OFF coupon code that can be used for the next 2 years! Click to learn more about Baseqi here.
We invent new Apple accessories and gadgets every year. We invite you to interact with us during our design process. Be the first ones to own these cool inventions by becoming our valued VIP member. Subcribe to our blog now and receive VIP discounts for the next 2 years!